The weather is changing in the Yucatan Peninsula, this last summer was particularly hot, dry and long. Valladolid reached really high temperatures this summer, and the thermal sensation reached 46-47 Celsius degrees.
In recent years, eco-technologies have become increasingly popular and are adapting to the different regions of the country: In the case of Valladolid, we have direct experience with solar panels and solar water heaters.
We have been thinking about building an earth house for some time, due to the great thermal properties as well as the low cost of building vs traditional concrete and block. I went as far as taking a class in Guanajuato with these amazing people but between the business, the family and so many other things I was not sure we could commit to self-building.
One of the earth building techniques I learned was super-adobe and I loved it: loved the straightforward DYI approach, love the fact that is very easy to build and even the look! The only thing on the way of following with my plan was simple: there is not a lot of soil in the Yucatan.
So we have been going back and forth with the thought of using superadobe and maybe getting the soil from other part of Mexico. Until I found some people that shared that SASCAB a very common material here, can be used instead.
What is Superadobe?
The most popular shape for a superadobe house is a dome, but the technique has evolved and actually can be used to build any kind of residence.
What are the advantages of building with superadobe in the Yucatan
- It does not need much labor, you can even build it yourself with family or friends.
- It is built quickly.
- You don’t need specific training to build your house, it is easy to learn and easy to do
- It is very cheap to build, we are building a 3-meter wide dome and the materials are less than 100 USD.
- It is resistant to hurricanes, tidal waves and earthquakes.
- Earth is a perfect insulator, so it keeps the house cool
- Isolates from noise.
- It has incomparable stability.
- It does not use expensive materials.
- It does not produce waste.
- Increase the energy efficiency of the home: this means that the house will be very cool.
- You can design to your liking, quickly and efficiently, even as the walls rise.
SUPERADOBE COURSE OCTOBER 2019: sponsored by Casas en Valladolid
This course is taught by Raúl González, from Casa de Tierra Project and will be held on Thursday 3rd and Friday 4th of October 2019. The class will start at 8:00 a.m. and extend until 3:00 p.m.
This class will cover the following topics:
- Land sampling and selection of the correct one for the use of the superadobe house.
- Inform about the tools and materials that will be used for the superadobe technique.
- The requirements for the lifting of walls.
- Proportions of materials to use.
- Train in the preparation of soil mixtures and their application.
- Sampling of natural paint.
- Material and proportions for the preparation of natural paint.
We hope this course allows us to replicate the technique in the Peninsula and that it be used by people from all over the state. It is an opportunity for many people to have a cheap, resistant and cool house for a low cost.
We love to share this information with interested people, if you want to attend or learn more please contact us!
We are Casas en Valladolid, the professional Real Estate Agency in Valladolid Yucatan. Our realtors are AMPI certified and also hold a national real estate certificate to work as real estate agents.
Our company has the biggest portfolio of properties, contact us if you are looking for a house for sale or rent in Valladolid Yucatan. We also have ranches, haciendas, cenotes, investment properties for sale in the Yucatan Peninsula.
Contact us for more information!